TOWN OF SANTA CLARA BOARD MEETINGS
Minutes of the Regular Monthly Meeting of the Santa Clara Town Board held on Thursday, July 14, 2016, Saranac Inn, NY Town Hall at 7:00 P.M.
Roll as follows for the Public Hearing and Regular Monthly Meeting:
- Marcel Webb - Supervisor
- Thomas Kimpton - Councilman
- Philip Durkin - Councilman
- David Perry - Councilman
- Richard Lyon - Councilman
- Andrew McGill - Superintendent of Highways
- Laurie McGill - Town Clerk
Regular monthly meeting called to order by Supervisor Webb. Motion by Phil Durkin, seconded by Tom Kimpton to dispense with the reading of the minutes of the previous meeting. All members voting Aye. Motion carried. Motion by Rick Lyon, seconded by Dave Perry to accept the minutes. All members voting Aye. Motion carried.
On a motion by Tom Kimpton, seconded by Dave Perry, Judith Meagher was appointed to the vacant seat on the Santa Clara Variance Board. All members voting Aye. Motion Carried.
New Sign for Building Update
– Rick Lyon has been in contact with several people to design a sign for the new building. One company was too busy to fit it in their schedule. He is now working with a company in Lake Placid and hopes to have designs to show the Board before the end of the month. Rick also has been contacting electricians for the lighting of the signs, flag pole and repairing the light by the sand pile. He has not had any luck locating someone who can do it. Tom Kimpton advised he would contact an electrician he knows to see if that person could do the job. Rick also looked into sound panels for the Great Room to help improve the acoustics. The panels would be on wheels and could be moved around the room as needed. Dick Gunthert also suggested decorative wall panels that are made to help with the acoustics. Supervisor Webb wants to wait and see how the new sound system works. If using the microphone and speakers resolves the issue then the Town will not have to get the panels.
Community Center Update
Supervisor Webb advised he wants to hold another Open House. He will send the Board available dates on Saturdays in August and he will set a date for the open house.
Guy Middleton reported that the person he will be having speak at a Town Board meeting is available for the September 8, 2016 meeting. Supervisor Webb will put him on the agenda.
Dick Gunthert is concerned about the Septic System talk that will be held in September. He feels there is no need for working septic systems to be replaced. Supervisor Webb advised that the Board is only going to listen to what this gentleman has to say. No septic system laws can be passed without a Public Hearing and then the approval of the Board and at this time there are no plans for a septic system law.
Michelle Brown Garcia thanked the Town for the use of the Community Room to hold the NYS boating course. There will also be a second course held in the Community Room in August. Michelle also asked if the podium could be put on wheels so that it would be easier to move around the room. Supervisor Webb advised that the Town would look into that.
Michelle Brown Garcia reported that a neighbor inquired about all the building going on at Eagle Island Camp. Supervisor Webb advised Friends of Eagle Island have a building permit to repair roofs, stairs and railings. Any septic system upgrades on the island are being handled by the NYS Department of Health. Michelle also commented about the plans Friends have for the Island as reported in the Adirondack Daily Enterprise. Supervisor Webb advised he has no knowledge of these plans as the Town has not been advised of them.
Good of the Town
Highway Superintendent McGill was not able to make the meeting but left a report for Supervisor Webb. All the sand has been put up for winter, the first round of mowing has been completed, and paving of the River Road in the Hamlet and assisting the Town of Waverly on their section of the road has been completed. Four bids were received for the 2008 Ford pickup truck with plow.
The bids were opened at 6:45 P.M. and were received as follows:
- Robin Bailey - $1,000.00
- D.C. Cochran Excavating & Grading - $2,351.00
- Forrest Pennington - $2,222.22
- Evan Durfee - $2,530.00
On a motion by Phil Durkin, seconded by Tom Kimpton the Board accepted the high bid of $2,530.00 from Evan Durfee. All members voting Aye. Motion carried.
Supervisor Webb reported that the Town of Brighton sent a letter to the Town thanking us for the resolution supporting the exemption of Camp Gabriels from the forever wild provision in the State Constitution.
Tom Kimpton reported that Franklin County will be changing the stop sign on County Route 46 at the split with Saranac Inn Lane. The sign will be moved to the Saranac Inn Lane side.
Dave Perry reported that the new projector was used for the boating course and it worked great. Dave also asked if the water in the new building had been tested. Supervisor Webb advised it has been tested. Dave asked to have it tested for minerals and iron. He believes that there is an iron problem with the water. Supervisor Webb will look into having it tested for mineral and iron content.
General Fund vouchers No. 179 to 204 in the amount of $10,568.71 and Highway Fund vouchers No. 64 to 74 in the amount of $12,989.86 were audited by the Board. Motion by Rick Lyon seconded by Tom Kimpton to approve vouchers and pay audited vouchers. All members voting Aye. Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn at 8:02 P.M. made by Dave Perry, seconded by Rick Lyon. All members voting Aye. Motion carried.